Monday, August 6, 2012

Reaper Bones review part 1

Read the final review here.

I like miniatures.

I've been curious about the Reaper Bones line since it was launched and with the associated Kickstarter campaign going on I thought it was a good chance to check them out. At this point the deal at the $100 level especially is really very good.  So I resisted the temptation to go for free shipping and I ordered just one miniature: the "male human warrior" or as the box tells me "Garrick the Bold."

First off, the detail is really excellent. Much better than any other soft plastic miniatures I have seen before. There are a few mold lines but they are pretty minimal. I have read in other reviews that the mold lines are difficult to remove cleanly so I might just live with them. I think a few mold lines may be better than spending a ton of effort on a $2 mini with the chance of making it look messier.

The plastic is pretty soft however and my figure is suffering from a modest case of bent-sword. My guess is that is something that may be inevitable with this type of plastic. I'd like to fix that if possible. If anyone has any tips they'd be appreciated.

They claim it is paintable right out of the box without priming - which I might test for a part 2 of this review. However, I have read in other reviews that washes don't stick well to the bare plastic, so I am tempted to at least dull-coat it first. Also, I usually prime my models black so I might end up priming it anyways for the look I am accustomed to (the model is white).

I'll post more if I am able to fix the bent sword and when I have painted it.

2 comments:

Muninn said...

I'm sure you've foun out on your own already, but the best way to reshape soft plastic is to fill two bowls with water. One almost boiling hot, the other cold.

Dip the bent section in the boiling water, and the plastic should spring back into place due to 'plastic memory.' Or if you desire a different shape you can bend it yourself while it's supple.

Once it's in the shape you want dip it in the cold water to set the shape. You might have to do this a few times.

~Muninn

Muninn said...

Oops, I didn't notice that you'd covered this trick in another post. My bad.